Thoughts on Puzzle 34: Soft Landing

I’m pretty sure Dea_’s is two words and though it is mainstream, it may not be that obvious to many born before ‘90

2 Likes

Did you get the 2nd and 3rd right? I think it gets much easier after those

Sorry, my bad. It is two words! I always thought it was one :rofl:

I got few possible answers for 2nd, but the most promising one gave me 4 words clue. Someone already mentioned that clue 3 should be 3 word.

And yes I’m pre-'90, so for me Dead Parrot is more mainstream than Dear RainbowDash or Deaf Harry Potter

I saw that a single 7 letter word had to fit into Dea’s which would have made it a 10 letter word and thought high probability of it being two words.

ah damn, I am really bummed out by this.
After a lot of frustration, I have a solution that would make a lot of sense regarding the description, but it doesnt take it.

Is the solution one word/do you use spaces while putting in the solution?

well. it worked on mobile.

But the Enter Solution - form is far from good. In my opinion it should accept different spellings and more importantly accept the right answers (see last puzzle)

I had it more than once that I had to try different browsers and devices until my answer got accepted. not very professional

I can’t find any answer to 2 that makes any sense in puzzle three. Does the ‘perhaps’ refer to the first part of the puzzle, or does it stand within itself?

I figured out the clue for 8, but when I add the answer to clue 9, the 9 clue is technically one letter off. Did anyone else have this issue?

Lol finally figured out the solution. I managed to get about half the letters, and spent quite some time looking at my partial answer wondering what on earth could possibly fill in those blanks?! Then I realized I missed a blank when I wrote it out and suddenly everything fit! :sweat_smile:
Note to self: always count your letters!

2 Likes

The perhaps is like in crossword clues. It means the answer to the clue can be more than one thing.

1 Like

Yes, finally figured it out by starting with clue 8 and filling down. Got the first 3 but still couldn’t get answer 4, clues 5, 6. Got the solution with the letters I did have.

Congrats to all who managed to either get clue ‘Dark’ correctly or guessed ‘Dea’ clue.

Apparently I’m too detached from the topic (I suspect age) to find out.

I really hope next puzzle will be less culture related, maybe math/logic focused.

I still given up, but trying to find character from the book popular in last 30 years is quite daunting.

2 Likes

Wow. I am getting nothing on this. At least I figured out something was a lowercase “l” and not a capital “I”. Other than that I’m stuck on a clue i don’t understand and can’t stumble my way into guessing further down the line.

Finally solved it, I went through the clues in order, with hesitation, trial and errors at each step, as my answers to the clues could sometimes fit the blanks in the next clue in several ways.
I did not solve clue 8 first, eventhough I knew that literature, but not in English.
I did not find the full answer before I got 9 of the 11 letters, could have found it earlier with a little bit of thinking.

Frustrating at first, then things fell in place, so enjoyable overall.

I’ve been getting quite a few dms about this one so lemme just give you all the hints I have on the 2nd/3rd clue :nerd_face: I’m spoiler-ing them 1 by 1 in case you want to keep trying:

I first checked the crossword clues websites, but it was none of the words that show up there.

It’s still a fairly obvious one though.

Many people end up with a word that results in a 4-word clue for the 3rd one, which is wrong.

That word is very close to the answer (in terms of meaning, not phonetics).

The 3rd clue has three words.

When thinking about the third clue, think about what does “dark” refer to - is it a “dark abc xyz” or is it a “dark abc xyz”?

2 Likes

Any hints regarding the literature of phrase 8? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

No, 7 is too easy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: even if you’re unfamiliar with the literature, googling would confirm it for you in seconds.

Phew! Solved it after all. Started from 1 and from 7 and solved most of the thing with some letters left to guess.
The thing that really broke it for me was realizing the thing someone mentioned with one of the uppercase i’s being a lowercase L :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This was a tough puzzle. Only solved the first and second clues and then started guessing the solution.