Thoughts on Puzzle 19 : Wild Thermometers

I keep running into the same problem and don’t know how to code let me know if you figure that part out

1 Like

Same here, a mistake right near the beginning. I always assume I’m being a bit stupid and of course puzzle designers never make mistakes :blush: and so I’ve been happily banging my head away at this

1 Like

I just solved the puzzle and my solution adds up, every number is correct. However, when i try to enter the code it says its incorrect

1 Like

Same here. All adds up, but the solution seems incorrect.

1 Like

Out of interest, has anyone solved this (manually) without guesswork? Is there a step-by-step solution you have to look for, or does it require trying out a few different fills, hoping they’re correct?

2 Likes

Solved it manually. Unfortunately, you have to make educated guesses and backtrack if you make a mistake. I had to backtrack about 5 times.

2 Likes

Are you sure that everything adds up, including:
row numbers
column numbers
thermometer bulbs (it can only start from the bulb)

1 Like

When doing it manually, is there no option other than making educated guesses? I think there should be other options as well.

2 Likes

I solved it manually - no guessing involved - i had around 3 criteria i looked for everytime.
Kinda felt like sudoku after a while.

i dont want to give away to much - but try to look for spaces that are not allowed to remain first.

i would also like to see a coding solution, if anyone would like to share it with me. thought of using an array to solve it - with concrete identifiers for each field and then running some loops with conditions. i am not a big coding person - just a bit R for university.

2 Likes

the gamma where the 1s meet is incorrect - they could have any other space in their corresponing row / column. it is not mandatory that row 4 column 4 is a “solution space”

1 Like

I came up with some rules that I followed, but still had to make some guesses. Maybe I was missing some specific rule. Nevertheless, it was fun. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Over halfway done, also not using geuss work, checking more then idividual rows helped me get further.

3 Likes

It took me 5 hours manually i don’t know how to code but was able to solve it based off of someone elses partially solved version in comments the 3 777 at the top being filled i had to figure out from that and a whole bunch of guessing until i got one that finally worked with no errors in the end after counting i had 1 letter off but was able to solve

4 Likes

Thank you. Turns out I had the grid right, but an alternate understanding of how to add up.

1 Like

Wow, glad that helped. I guess it’s the one done in excel by me. I myself haven’t completed it yet. But progressed a lot from what you see in that image. Have to do it later. It’s already 1:30 AM here now.

2 Likes

Finally got it, with no errors, or guessing. Really hard one, but a nice challange!
Took 1.5-2.5 h

2 Likes

It took me about 3 hours to solve

1 Like

When the puzzle is done. Can you show me the code you used? I’m having a hard time seeing it as a simple coding problem. Seems like you would have to program the game engine to solve this. As it isn’t a simple matrix problem.

2 Likes

Did anyone have trouble with colume #5 (with 7 spaves to fill)? I only found 6 free spaces, but the column requires 7…

Your mistake is crossing the 1 row and 1 column in paths. They don’t necessarily do that. Their position could be anywhere in the row or column respectively.

1 Like