Thoughts on Puzzle 19 : Wild Thermometers

Now this may be 2nd part of a previous Mission puzzle named “Thermometers”. That had a 10*10 grid but with straight thermometers. This one is a 12 by 12 grid which has thermometers that are bending once or twice. Also this is one of the few puzzles that I think can be easily solved by coding, if you can build the logic for the code.

2 Likes

What does the puzzle mean by fill fill it with what I don’t think I understand the directions

1 Like

Nevermind i figured it out

1 Like

Ok so what do I do with the tubes that are not lettered in the bulb can I use em or no

1 Like

You may or may not have to fill those as well. You have to treat all the thermometers in the same way, whether empty or marked with those greek letters.

I know there are some logic rules to apply in order to solve this either manually or through coding. I’ve solved an earlier “Thermometers” puzzle by applying some rules that I somehow figured out, but that earlier puzzle was very simple with straight thermometers to fill. This one however is a bit harder to solve. I am still trying to figure out the logic.

2 Likes

Let’s do it!!! I’m intrigued as to if I could do this with code.

5 Likes

Let us know if you were able to solve it through coding.

Has anyone solved it yet? Cause it looks to me like there is a mistake in the puzzle itself

2 Likes

Really, like what mistake?
BTW, I am trying to solve it manually, I may solve it eventually. But, I don’t see any mistakes.

I solved it (using code :grinning:). No mistake in the puzzle.

4 Likes

Did you use 2D Arrays to solve this using code?

Oh, ok then. I’ll try again😀

1 Like

Can the bulb parts be filled as well or only the “straight” parts above the bulb?

1 Like

From the instructions:

You can stop filling a thermometer at any point, including no fill at all (even in the bulb), but spaces cannot be skipped over.

Meaning: Everything can be filled, including the bulb parts.

2 Likes

Yes. The tricky part is to code the puzzle logic.

2 Likes

did you solve it recursively?

5 Likes

No. But keep in mind that anything that can be solved recursively, can be solved iteratively and vice-versa, so it’s just a coding preference.

3 Likes

I’d say this one was pretty cool, I joined on the last puzzle so I didnt do the original one on the 10x10 grid. Tbh, I don’t know enough in coding to do this but it only took about an 1 - 1.5 hours to do manually.

4 Likes

So I solved it (with code), and I want to know if anyone else had an issue which I had. I am 100% sure that my script created a valid solution, as all rows and columns add up to what they are supposed to. What’s odd is that, after solving the puzzle, adding up the values for each of the greek letters, and alphaconverting them into letters, the word I got was not a valid solution. HOWEVER, although the word I got was nonsense, it was reminiscent of a word in the dictionary. I changed one letter of my answer, entered the solution again, and this time it was correct!

I know that “the puzzle is never wrong” but something smells fishy here. Anyone else have the same issue?

4 Likes