[Resolved] Isn't Puzzle 40 just barely under-constrained?

Update: I was wrong!
([Resolved] Isn't Puzzle 40 just barely under-constrained? - #10 by zygopteran)

Here’s what I had said:

I believe that Puzzle 40 is just slightly under-constrained, so that there are actually two slightly different correct solutions to the given name-score-material-project matching problem. This results in two somewhat different arrangements of Os in the first grid, and thus two somewhat different text strings emerging via the word grid, of which only one actually makes sense, and indeed the corresponding answer is accepted on the solve page. So this isn’t a huge deal, but I thought I’d point it out in case someone might want to have a look. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Pretty sure this was on purpose. The guess work is just part of the puzzle. If it’s not this, then it’s that. Like you said, it’s pretty easy to figure out which is correct when going through the letters.

This puzzle reminds me the Einstein riddle from the TED ed. Can you solve "Einstein’s Riddle"? - Dan Van der Vieren - YouTube

1 Like

No guess work is required if you follow the logic it all fits. Side note Still not getting confirmation e-mail.

1 Like

I concur. The logic all fits and no guesswork. I’ve been getting emails so not sure how to advise you there.

2 Likes

Solved it. Not too difficult once you understand the logic.

When applying all of the rules (and some less conspicuous inherited ones), there is definitely one result.

1 Like

Well, my fourth check did the trick. Thanks, everyone. @KreherFA, @AlexM, @SDDA, and @DocWiley, I understand what led me half-astray. One of the requirements (I won’t say which), if interpreted as surely intended, eliminates the invalid one out of the two solutions I was seeing. It really is a slightly subtle thing, but I should have seen it earlier. Mea culpa! Thanks again, folks, and sorry for the hassle. You were right. I’ll delete my earlier posts in a moment. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I also have initially got two solutuions, but eventually found the condition that limited it to just one. Solution accepted, email received,

2 Likes

nice quick bit of fun!

only 2 more to go, gonna be a shame when it ends, unless I get to space, then it will be less of a shame it ended

4 Likes

I’ve been getting the emails as well.

1 Like